[Inx] Usb persist install

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 29 02:17:20 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 07:59:12 +0100
"Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -" <ompaul at eircom.net> wrote:

> Karl Harris wrote:
> > Ran through the install without any problems.  I saved a few test files to
> > check for on my next boot.
> >
> > I did have one question.   On the grub menu the first two don't mention
> > persist.  Eventually it might be nice to have the default option be
> > persistent.
> >

> I think that would be a bad idea - people at times use live cds to boot
> to so they can fix boxes - better safe than sorry ohh you plugged in the
> key to add data to it and then you booted and the phone rang and you
> walked to the phone and came back and had a new system .....

Well, not a new system really :) The casper-rw partition on the USB
device holds any changes for 'persistent', so the hard drive is not
touched - and if people are using the device to fix a box, I would hope
they had a clue what was happening, or I would fear for the box ;)

> opinion - everyone has one - on the other hand economists may have three

<insulting_stereotype>
All of them correct to a maximum of one significant figure, plucked from
the sky, and dependent on the weather, colour of currently worn suit,
and the Invisible Hand?
</insulting_stereotype>

;-)

Apologies to any list members who are economists ;)

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net