[Inx] Debian based speaking distro - Knoppix 6

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 4 08:03:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:20:11 -0700
"Deborah Armstrong" <debee at jfcl.com> wrote:

Peter Garrett wrote:

> >On the other hand, if there is already a working live CD with these
> options, are we just reinventing the wheel?
>
> Absolutely not. Inx is unusual in that it is fully console based. Knoppix is
> KDE based. I haven't used it for a couple of versions, but many console apps
> are missing. It's expected that the console or a terminal will only be used
> when the operator doesn't have an x-based alternative.
>
> Grml has many text-based utilities, but is intended primarily for
> administrators. Though it talks just fine, it again isn't really a
> console-based distro.

Ah, yes, I recall having a look at grml some time back and deciding that
it was, as you say, mainly for administrators. Perhaps I should check
out its "talking" aspect though...

> Ubuntu of course talks, with some effort, but it's gnome-based, the
> assumption is the user would rather work with x.
>
> Inx is unique in that you've chosen some rather rare console-based apps, and
> the intended audience may not be command-line wizzards yet.

OK. Have you downloaded/tested the new "unstable" inx yet?

It would be interesting to hear if brltty works for you or not, for
example, and to what extent yasr is useful in this edition. I have also
included festival, although it is not used with yasr, since yasr pulled
in eflite as a dependency... My little apologetic messages also use
espeak...

My feeling is that this has a long way to go before it could be usable:
- your comments and criticisms would be helpful, if you have the time.

Maybe you could hack a few of the scripts a bit, since you have
programming background, or maybe join the team and use bazaar, while
you're at it ... *smile*

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net