[Inx] Debian based speaking distro - Knoppix 6

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Fri Apr 3 20:20:11 PDT 2009

>On the other hand, if there is already a working live CD with these
options, are we just reinventing the wheel?

Absolutely not. Inx is unusual in that it is fully console based. Knoppix is
KDE based. I haven't used it for a couple of versions, but many console apps
are missing. It's expected that the console or a terminal will only be used
when the operator doesn't have an x-based alternative.

Grml has many text-based utilities, but is intended primarily for
administrators. Though it talks just fine, it again isn't really a
console-based distro.

Ubuntu of course talks, with some effort, but it's gnome-based, the
assumption is the user would rather work with x.

Inx is unique in that you've chosen some rather rare console-based apps, and
the intended audience may not be command-line wizzards yet.

--Debee