[Inx] New to INX, willing to help

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Mon Nov 3 14:38:31 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 22:57 -0700, Lextori wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I've found the first open source project I want to help
> contribute to. The power of a CLI is actually really impressive once
> you go through the tutorials. I've found that I'm more productive in
> INX(hard to get distracted when all I have is CLI).

I hadn't thought of CLI reducing distractions.

> That said I've found a few things I think INX is lacking.

> 2. a flashcard application - I've tried looking and not found
> anything.

Not sure what this means.

> 3. a roguelike game, roguelikes are one of the crowing examples of fun
> games that are possible on the console, and have been one of my fav
> game types for ages

is nethack roguelike? (I'm not sure what rougelike means per se).

> 4. an easy way to set up a compose key(on my ubuntu desktop I was able
> to set my cap's lock key as compose with no problems using a dialog.)

Compose key? My Sun keyboard has one specially, but not seen such a key
on a standard keyboard.
Its entirely possible changing the keymap (while perhaps not 'easy')
would work.

> I also have one question, how can I turn the numlock on login behavior
> off, I use INX on my laptop and that is quite annoying. Also if anyone
> can help me with setting up a compose key I would apprecate it :)
>
> So my question to the community is how can I help? I know almost no
> programming(I can putt around in python enough to see what's happening
> but wouldn't trust myself to do much more than a hello world, and ask
> some questions and spit them back at the user)

Inx is largely bash scripting, and the source is available via
launchpad.

> I am able to test, and give feedback, as well as suffer through bugs
> and learn something new to be of use.

All valuable help!
kk

--