[Inx] Inx Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:35:49 PDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017,Denny wrote:
> I haven't seen any life in inx for some time.. just curious if the project
> is considered dead? I know at one point there was talk of this unique
> project getting a revamp... just wondering if that's still on the table??

Haven't heard about anything regarding inx in a long while.

I'm very interested in lightweight distributions and I did find two
framebuffer based (no X Windows) distributions.
This one is actively supported by the developer:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nanolinux/
This one is no longer actively supported:
http://rogueclass.org/

I'm also very interested in lightweight, efficient, useful console
based applications and in applications that can run in framebuffer
mode.  I'm always looking for new programs.  Lightweight distributions
like INX are a great way to find interesting programs. Have an article
on finding lightweight applications here:
http://lmemsm.dreamwidth.org/2017/03/20/  It has some links to sites
that discuss console applications.

Would think several of the console based applications used by INX
would run on any distribution that supports console mode.  I remember
someone posting about plans to update INX to work with the latest
version of Debian some time ago.  Haven't seen any recent posts on it.
It would be fairly easy to use Debian netinst or another distribution
that offers console support (maybe one of the lighter antiX images -
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page ) and add your
favorite console applications from INX.  I've also seen several
lightweight, minimal distributions being developed based on musl C
library and tools like Busybox instead of GNU coreutils.

I'm slowly putting together a useful collection of console (and
framebuffer) applications, patches and build scripts to build them
from source.  Patches include fixing memory issues, modifications to
get programs to compile with later versions of libraries or other
system changes and to add extra functionality I might need that isn't
part of the original program.  If anyone's interested in discussing
console applications further, I'd love to hear from them.

Best wishes.
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmbld.htm