[Inx] INX is a good idea.

Ian Rowan imrowan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 06:39:33 PST 2012

Karl, you should be all caught up now with DJ mirroring our initial mails to
the list.

> > 1) Install Ubuntu Server 12.10, "minimal install" w/Ubuntu/ssh server
> > roles, kernel-3.5.0-generic
> > 2) apt-get update+upgrade; install dselect; dselect access+update
> > [without the dselect steps I was getting way more errors from dpkg; I
> > *think* this is due to some bug in dpkg]
>
> what step do the errors exhibit at? What is the error message?

When I first gave dpkg the INX selection list, it spat out a huge list of
warnings of "package not in database". However, the list included packages
that I not only knew were in the database (I could see them with apt-cache
show, and with identical names), but even some that I knew were already
installed. After a few hours of searching I was no wiser, but most people
seemed to agree that if you did

install dselect
dselect access
dselect update

that it would do some good. In my case, it reduced the number of warnings
from 296 to 71, but I still had to individually audit the remaining packages
and find suitable replacements, which wasn't always possible. I did get it
down to a total of 10 packages that seemingly have no available alternative:

belocs-locales-bin
console-freecell
libartsc0
libcucul0
libesd-alsa0
libfreebob0
libopencdk10
libpcd2
libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libvolume-id0
libxcb-xlib0
linm
upstart-logd

For the remaining packages, here's what I've done:

ceni
REMOVED, replaced w/wicd-cli+wicd-curses

console-terminus
REMOVED, now included in console-setup

cpp-4.2
REPLACED w/ cpp-4.7

dhcp3-client
dhcp3-common
REPLACED w/dhcpcd

diff
REPLACED w/ diffutils

fbgrab
REPLACED w/ fbcat

gcc-4.2-base
REPLACED w/ gcc-4.7-base

gs-gpl
REPLACED w/ ghostscript

libao2
REPLACED w/ libao4

libaudiofile0
REPLACED w/ libaudiofile1

libbind9-30
REPLACED w/ libbind9-80

libc6-i686
REPLACED w/ libc6-amd64

libcap1
REPLACED w/ libcap2

libcupsys2
REPLACED w/ libcups2

libdb4.2
libdb4.4
libdb4.5
libdb4.6
REPLACED w/ libdb 5.3

libdirectfb-1.0-0
REPLACED w/ libdirectfb-1.2-9

libdns32
libdns35
REPLACED w/ libdns81

libgnutls13
REPLACED w/ libgnutls28

libgpmg1
REPLACED w/ libgpm-dev

libgs8
REPLACED w/ libgs9

libisc32
? (related to libisccc?)

libisccc30
REPLACED w/ libisc83

libisccfg30
REPLACED w/ libisccfg82

libiw29
REPLACED w/ libiw30

libkrb53
REPLACED w/ libkrb5-3

liblwres30
REPLACED w/ liblwres80

libmodplug0c2
REPLACED w/ libmodplug1

libmp4v2-0
REPLACED w/ libmp4v2-2

libmpcdec3
REPLACED w/ libmpcdec6

libmpfr1ldbl
REPLACED w/ libmpfr4

libntfs-3g23
REPLACED w/ ntfs-3g

libopenal0a
REPLACED w/ libopenal1

libparted1.7-1
REPLACED w/ libparted0

libperl5.8
REPLACED w/ libperl5.14

libraw1394-8
REPLACED w/ libraw1394-11

libx264-57
REPLACED w/ libx264-123

linux-image-386
REPLACED w/ linux-image-3.5.0-17-generic

mplayer-nogui
REPLACED w/ mplayer

python2.5
python2.5-minimal
REPLACED w/ python2.7, python2.7-mimimal

startup-tasks
REPLACED w/ upstart

system-services
REMOVED, now provided by upstart

sysvutils
REPLACED w/ sysvinit-utils

upstart-compat-sysv
REMOVED, now provided by upstart

> Any particular problems you expect to face withthr scripts?

Not that I can specifically point to, but I've had problems in the past with
scripts. Fortunate for the world that I don't try to actually program. I've
been busy with other projects since my first posts here, but should be back
to beating on INX in a day or three.

-i

--
In a perfect world, we'd all lie blind and motionless in stacked coffins
filled with pudding. It would be dark and warm and nobody would have to