[Inx] where is the menu?

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 21 04:59:30 PDT 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:39:38 -0400
Franklin Chou <franklinmchou at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is where are the scripts for the menus stored? I'd like to
> see if I can customize the menu for compiling C etc. by linking the menu
> items to bash or perl scripts.

8:peter at prospero:~ $ which menu
/usr/local/bin/menu
8:peter at prospero:~ $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/menu
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jan 15  2010 /usr/local/bin/menu
-> ../lib/inx/menu

As with the "menu" script, most inx scripts are symlinked
from /usr/local/bin/ to the actual scripts in /usr/local/lib/inx/

Try:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/

and

ls -l /usr/local/lib/inx

There are a couple of "wrapper" scripts in /usr/local/bin - for example
"mutt", which is there in case people try to use mutt without doing the
configuration supplied in the mail menu... and so forth.

Since /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin in the $PATH variable, the
inx wrapper is executed rather than the actual program in such cases.

I  put stuff in /usr/local mainly because at the time when I started
writing INX I wanted to segregate it from the "Ubuntu" parts of the
system, and initially I saw it as a "locally" installed set of
scripts. These days I would either use /usr/bin with links, or
possibly /opt. Originally all the scripts were in /usr/local/bin, but I
altered this to make a "library" of the scripts.

We (the INX team, small as it was/is) were hoping to make INX into a
Debian and/or Ubuntu package, but, to cut a long story short, this looks
too intrusive - there are hacks in startup scripts, alterations in
shutdown scripts, hacks with modules etc. etc. many or all of which are
not *cough* The Debian Way ;-)

Some of the scripts no longer do what they say on the tin, but this is
the result of, for example, Shoutcast completely redesigning and
reconfiguring their site.

I wrote about 99% of INX, so you know who to blame ;-) Currently the
direction of Ubuntu makes updating INX very difficult, and I have other
life priorities, but if you want to try to get a "10.04" version going,
feel free to hack! I'm now kind of the Benevolent Dictator, but I'm
usually pretty open to code if it works :-) The easiest way to hack INX
is to use the bzr stuff on launchpad.net, with the bzr version control
program. See

https://launchpad.net/inx

Hope this helps!

Peter