[Inx] Inx Digest, Vol 23, Issue 3 - CDMP

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 28 04:36:50 PDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 18:31:26 -0500
Marsha Gilliland <marshagilliland at earthlink.net> wrote:

> RE:  CDMP
> I decided to try two different store brought CD's on two different
> machines booted INX to RAM and compared playback to INX 1.17 booted to
> ram.  It appears now that I misinterpreted what was happening as due to
> me pressing keys on the keyboard.   I rebooted to RAM once again
> starting CDMP and just letting the CD play back and it appears that
> there is a reading ahead/buffering issue causing gaps in playback.  To
> verify, I booted INX 1.17 to RAM and CD playback was smooth.

O.K., thanks for the report. I have heard the same sort of thing here,
and I suspect that this is due to some change in the newer version of
mplayer. It may be possible to tweak this by altering the buffering
settings or altering the speed setting in cdmp. I will look at this in
my Copious Free Time (tm) *grin*.

> I should also note that upon starting CDMP there is a whole string of
> input/output errors regarding sr0 - so I'm guessing something still
> needs tweaking.

Yes, I see these as well, but I think these errors are coming from the
kernel. It may be possible to suppress them by tweaking /etc/sysctl.conf

Lucid has commented this line:
# Uncomment the following to stop low-level messages on console
#kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

In hardy it was not commented.

Un-commenting this and running 'sudo sysctl -p' might suppress the
low level kernel messages, but I haven't tried it yet, so I could be
wrong.

> The stream search script does not seem to find any streams from
> shoutcast now.  I've only been able to use the www.1.fm website to play
> streams.  Shoutcast seems to be using something different from  the
> search streams script.

Yes, as I said in my post re: Shoutcast, the nice people at Shoutcast
have broken plait/random for us. There may be no solution this time,
sadly.

> I note that INX USB created with the inxusb script gives me boot options
> for two different resoultions with and without persistence or two ram.

Correct. Possibly adding options to the menu for non-usb is worth
doing, although there is a space issue on the bootup screen, which uses
isolinux and not grub (inxusb uses grub).

Peter