[Inx] New iso with brltty, yasr etc. (has bugs!)

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sun Mar 29 06:45:31 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I've made a new "unstable" iso with some of the things that Deborah has
suggested, as a test bed for accessibility issues that sight-impaired
people have...

Now, this iso is both broken, and bigger than usual. The extra software
has blown the size out to 221 MB approximately. It works fine without
the added functionality, but this is about trying to get brltty and/or
speech working.

Some notes:
On boot, to try to start brltty hit F5 and select Braille Terminal.
It's the fourth one down, (four hits of the arrow key after F5)
Enter this

Either hit enter again, or select the 'toram' option (one arrow down -
the main boot menu should now e in focus)

A question should pop up almost immediately asking you to select from

B - Bluetooth
S - Serial
U -USB serial
X - Exit

I have no idea which of these might work... According to the message,
selecting X should work for a non-USB-serial device. I assume this
means a directly usb connected braille device is supposed to work...

On completion of boot, you should hear a message. It tells you a
possible next step, with apologies for prolixity *grin*

I have included a crude "speech-radio" script, since running anything
that uses mplayer or other audio apps from the yasr screen reader
currently fails. Other things that fail from yasr include anything that
requires a genuine console (yasr identifies itself as TERM=linux . I
don't think it should...)

Menus have been tweaked a bit so that yasr won't read the figlet
slashes and underscores etcetera. I made it so that if running yasr
figlet will be bypassed. It's a hack, but we have to start somewhere...

So... all hands to the pump, please! Don't ignore this if you are
a sighted user - apart from anything else, it's kind of fun to hear the
menus and so on, even if you don't need to.

The iso is in:

http://inx.maincontent.net/devel/unstable/

Direct links:
http://inx.maincontent.net/devel/unstable/inx-unstable-1.12.iso

http://inx.maincontent.net/devel/unstable/md5sum-inx-unstable-1.12.iso-with-brltty-speech-etc

(sorry if that wraps in your client)

Read the README *grin* .
http://inx.maincontent.net/devel/unstable/README-unstable-1.12

But don't be put off - it at least does some
of the things, and no doubt will be improved, with some feedback.

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net