[Inx] State of INX - brief report ...

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 27 23:21:55 PST 2009

Hi all,

This is just a general update on what's happening with INX, mostly just
some basic stats about downloads, and a few possible upcoming
changes/improvements.

The two sites (inx.maincontent.net and inx.boinc.ch) have done about 85
Gigabytes of traffic in February. Most of the INX 1.1 downloads are
coming from softpedia.com (around 70% or more).

Also, currently the INX 1.1 torrent has completed 79 downloads.

There are a few tweaks that will probably be included in INX 1.2, "When
It's Ready ™"  :-) Don't hold your breath - I have more commitments this
year and INX will have to be a week-ends and spare-time thing. Possible
tweaks etc. :

*  Shelagh Manton suggested GNU Screen could be run with
TERM=screen-256color . What this means, in comprehensible English, is
that by installing the ncurses-term package, it is possible to improve
the colour behaviour of GNU Screen somewhat. For example, "cdmp" will
show a full-width colour background instead of the currently truncated
one. Cosmetic only, of course :) There might be other advantages as
well, so it's probably worth doing.

* GNU Screen again - I noticed that the default media playing choice of
"screen playinx" does not run in GNU Screen (presumably because Screen
is already running). This default comes from the .mailcap file,
but I don't want to change that default. It is probably possible to
alter the behaviour while running, for instance, elinks in screen, but
I have not yet worked that out. Any takers for solving this one?

Because I have more commitments this year, I have a suggestion. If you
want to improve INX, and have some scripting/programming skills, please
look at the "bazaar" on launchpad.net, and set up a branch for
yourself, or email me off-list for more information. The code is all
out there, and since I have done most of the development so far, I feel
perhaps some adventurous souls other than inx-one might delve into this
and produce some new stuff :)

I will certainly be continuing to work on INX - it just can't have as
high a priority for me now. I hope to build a new INX "unstable" or
"update" soon, but it will probably only have a few additions or
improvements.

I am also hoping that list members will chip in with some replies
commenting on this. The list has been almost silent, which is a pity,
since new ideas and/or help with problems can be aired and answered
here. Don't be shy!

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net