[Inx] Learning Tool or Complete Distro? Was: Qingy: GUI login

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Sun Nov 23 02:09:06 PST 2008

Samson Wong wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM, David Kuntadi <d.kuntadi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In short, to learn command line using INX is not the way to go for me,
>> unless I found INX two years ago. But I still find INX interesting
>> although not useful for me. If we could just expand a little bit INX
>> mission, I guess it would be better. My idea is:
>>
>> 1. As study tools, just run as livecd.
>> 2. To install on computer, it should be a more complete desktop to
>> takeover the whole computer, not just for study.

#

Me, well I think both David and Samson miss the point.

You have all these nice tools on almost any $distro

Peter did a lot of brilliant work, along the road he has brought this
thing to fruition, a lot of people have learnt that they don't have to
have big clunkly desktops. They also learnt fancy things about screen,
bash, and got a peek under the bonnet they would not usually do.

If you want what you are suggesting you too are free to go to launchpad,
and to do there what he has done. You are also free to fork debian,
gentoo, redhat or even do something with LFS. (linux from scratch)

However to say something you picked up and gave a whirl to is a failure
because it does not scratch your itch, or does not fill a CD rom is not
a valid criticism. Why don't you buy a MAC truck and complain it does
not have the acceleration and handling of say a BMW 530i (not that I
drive one but I have done).

Horses for courses people, horses for courses.

Why do I claim expertise in this area, I should know something of this,
I might be responsible for http://www.gnewsense.org existing!

So it is I say to you, go do something productive and quit with the
complaining!

Regards,
Paul O'Malley