[Inx] Interim update...

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 3 02:29:50 PDT 2008

Hello to all,

This is an "interim" announcement, since the new version of the ISO is
not yet on the server...

The major news is that I now have the "toram" boot option working.
By appending " toram " (without quotes) at the end of the boot line
accessible from F6 on the INX boot-up screen, you can run the INX live
CD entirely from RAM :)

Obviously, this makes things run quite quickly once the CD boots...

I have 1 Gig of RAM here. I think this would work with less ( perhaps
512 MB) but I haven't tested that yet. Boot takes longer because the
system has to be written to RAM, and there's a pause in the boot
sequence while this happens.

The other advantage of this is of course the fact that the CD-ROM is
freed for use. You can eject it once the OS has booted, and use it
as desired.

I have also added the little "antiword" program to the apps installed,
which makes it possible to read most Windows *.doc files. For example,
Midnight Commander opens them in a pager for you.

Further news once I have the new CD uploaded to the server. There are a
few tweaks needed before I do that.

Peter

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one at optusnet.com.au>