[Inx] Inx Digest, Vol 23, Issue 3 - VESAFB

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 28 04:25:17 PDT 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:42:48 -0500
Marsha Gilliland <marshagilliland at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I checked inx-lucid on 2 machines:  One is a Gateway E series, One is
> Dell Optiplex GX270 with 18.5 inch wide screen monitor (AOC and Acer).
>
> Both have Intel corp 82865G (rev02) video cards
>
> Both report cat /etc/issue.net as inx lucid-alpha-2
>
> One reports lsmod | grep vesafb as  3542 1
> tput lines 48
> tput cols 128
> **This plays the a_new_computer.ogg video in color in an 8 1/2 x 5 1/2
> inch output

Yup, the tput results you posted show the expected resolution, so this
has a 1024x768 frame buffer.

> (booted 800 x 600 from inx lucid usb)

> Other computer best results:
>
> lsmod | grep vesafb 3542  1
> tput lines 37
> tput cols  100

Looks like 800x600 with frame buffer...

> This computer does start mplayer, but no video shows and audio gives a
> Theora error (looking for libogg iirc).

Don't know why you get no video, since it looks like the frame buffer
is OK. The error would not be an audio error here - Theora is the
video, Vorbis is audio, 'ogg' is the 'container'. It seems strange that
video will not play, since you appear to have an 800x600x16 frame
buffer.

> On both computers xlinks -g works with mouse scrolling.

Which means directfb is OK - good.

> Hope this is helpful.

Yes, thanks Marsha. I can't see why the 1024x768 works for video but the
800x600 doesn't... 'tis a mystery to me!

Peter