[Inx] Console Text Size

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Sat Jun 26 10:43:36 PDT 2010

Hello INX Lovers and Users,

For those who would like larger font in INX try this:

Edit the file /etc/default/grub, and find the line that
looks like:

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

Uncomment it, and change it to your desired resolution.  It should be
supported by your video card.  This should cause the initial grub boot
screen to be shown at that resolution, but you would need sighted
assistance to verify this.  Next, find the line that looks like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Change this to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

Then, run 'sudo update-grub2'.  Unfortunately, there is a bug in
update-grub2, and the next step requires that you edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.  Find the line that looks like:

 set gfxmode=1920x1080

It should show the resolution you chose, rather than 1920x1080.  On
the line directly after this, add:

 set gfxpayload=keep

Try a reboot and see if it works.  Here's what these things are doing
in theory.  gfxmode is the resolution grub sets at the initial console
screen where you select which OS to boot.  It seems to work as
advertised.  Normally, this mode is not kept for use in the consoles.
The gfxpayload=keep says to use the same resolution on the consoles.
Unfortunately, other issues get in the way and override this
resolution.  If I boot with "splash", the console video mode on my
laptop gets reset to 640x480.  I added "nomodeset" boot parameter, as
some video cards don't like letting the kernel control the video
modes.  This may or may not help on your system.

I also fooled with some other magic parameters, and at one point I
actually had it fully working, but I can't seem to find that
configuration now.  The good news is that I can easily get the
consoles to use my preferred resolution.  The bad news for me,
however, is that the display is turned off when I'm in to consoles.
Since I actually prefer 640x480 resolution, I'm going to go back to my
old default settings.

Be well,

David Ring
Green Harbor, MA