[Inx] inx-lucid-alpha-2

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 26 08:37:05 PDT 2010

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:31:44 +1000
Peter Garrett <inx-one at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:17:43 +0100
> Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:31:17 +1000
> > Peter Garrett <inx-one at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > > Thanks for the report. Could you please boot "live" and send the list
> > > output of the following commands:
> > >
> > >  cat /etc/issue.net
> > INX lucid-alpha-2
> >

> OK :-)
> > >
> > >  lsmod | grep vesafb
> > vesafb                       3542  0
>
> Well, vesafb is loading, but...
> >

> > >  tput lines
> > 30
> >

> > >  tput cols
> > 80
>
> Ouch!
>
> You are not getting a framebuffer. That's just the default
> non-framebuffer resolution. I imagine all the menus are also horrible
> and cutting off as well. Nothing that uses framebuffer will work...
>
> I shall look at this more closely - evidently something other than
> vesafb has to  load/happen for you to get 1024x768 resolution ... Which
> would be columns x lines=128x48 , iirc.
>
> Will report back if I can figure this one out!
> As I said in my previous reply, I need to hear from other users as well.
>
> It might be helpful to know, though, whether you are running INX on a
> "Netbook" or similar.
No, it’s an old, turn of the century, PB tower with a Gigabyte MOBO.

>Some machines just can't supply the 1024x768x16
> framebuffer. Does the same thing happen with inx-1.1, or inx-1.17 ?
> If those "work", then we still have a bug. If not, then this is at
> least not specific to inx-lucid-alpha-2
I’ll try an older version when I can find it, I have one somewhaere.  Although Hardy boots to 1024x768x16.

> Can you get 800x600 with inx-lucid-alpha-2 ? That would be vga=788 on
> the boot line, which you can access from F6 on the initial boot screen.
> Just edit that line to vga=788 and hit <enter>

vga=788 gives an 'Undefined video mode number' error.  Any mode over 80 columns that are offered with 'vga=ask' just reverts to 80x30.  The i810 chip set is recognised and 64MiB of RAM allocated to it.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net