[Inx] 9.10 attempts

Cafe Ninja cafeninja at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 26 00:43:52 PST 2010

D.J.J.,
Ok...it took getting through all the comments.  And let me be clear
that I am doing my testing on vmware fusion 3.0 on a mac running 10.6
(overkill on the information, but could be important in the future).

I went to the link.  The initial guide I had already done several
times with every result giving me the correct sized screen, but no
visible text.  System was responsive both by typing blind or ssh.  So
for sure it was just presentation.

Then in the comments found this entry and it _is_ what made it work.
I thought it might give Peter some insight.   The below details are
the original post in the comments of that web page with only the
completed modifications that I made for the exact settings.

Test image is 9.10 server 64-bit.

========================
.. (on Debian as sudo)
1. edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
2. add fbcon and vesafb modules

(vesafb is blacklisted on Debian)
3. /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer
4. commenting vesafb
5. update-initramfs -u

6. edit /etc/default/grub
7  uncomment and set "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768"

8. edit /etc/grub.d/00_headers
9. I have listed below the lines around the ones I changed to be
inclusive and indicate _where_ to place them.
<--snip @ line 88-->
if loadfont `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${GRUB_FONT_PATH}` ; then
  set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
  set gfxpayload=keep
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod ${GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND}
<--/snip-->
10. run "sudo update-grub"
11. reboot
========================
I have not tried to playback with mplayer, I have _only_ booted with
the screen now visible.
I'll be looking at the stage 2 installer now for the list of apps so
that I don't install a meta-package that brings with it a bunch of X
stuff.

I'll get back to you soon.

Peter,
If you could post the most "difficult" command for testing the
functionality of the framebuffer mode I would appreciate it.

Regards,
CafeNinja