[Inx] Customising/remixing INX

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 17 22:41:25 PST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:09:19 -0700
Warren Smith <literalsystems at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using INX 1.17 now as a base to make a samba and openvpn server.
> I am doing a remastersys remix and the one thing that doesn't work out
> so well is the terminal size shrinks on the remastered version and the
> nice menu system gets margin whacked.

I suspect that remastersys is wiping the vga= line from the boot
configuration, which would result in a default 80x24 console/tty
without framebuffer - but since I have not used remastersys, that's a
guess. To get the right 1024x768 default framebuffer for INX, you need
vga=791 on the boot kernel line.

Also possible is vga=788 , if you prefer 800x600, but most people will
prefer vga=791 unless they have unusually small monitors.

There could be other things that go wrong if remastersys doesn't leave
various INX tweaks alone, but as I say, I'm not familiar with
remastersys, so I can't be sure.

> It's very well for me to use your base. I just wonder if there is a
> quick fix I am overlooking before I go in to resize the menu system.

You can try adding the above vga=791 to the kernel line as suggested.

Personally, I would use the "buildinx" script to customise INX for your
purposes, but that depends on how comfortable you are with doing your
custom changes in the chroot it creates. You can read about buildinx
either here (man page on the site):

http://inx.maincontent.net/buildinx/buildinx.html

Or in INX itself (man buildinx).

The "buildinx" build script is available here:

http://inx.maincontent.net/buildinx/buildinx

Type "apropos inx" in INX to see other man pages that might be
informative.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions if you need clarification.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net