[Inx] thought for the day

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 2 22:35:04 PST 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:29:52 -0800
james michael <jamesthefishy at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Supposing you had only to use INX, what can't you do?

> Full web browsing, links2 with svgalib does allow images but no java nor
> flash which is required on most sites now days.

Well, this would perhaps be nice, but I don't think it is possible
without X...

Java: would I assume require a plugin for links2 or similar. As far as
I know, such an animal does not exist.

Flash: There are a couple of Free And Open Source flash
implementations - gnash, and swfdec. As far as I know, both require X
as well. This could be wrong though, since I am not up to date on them.
The dependencies don't seem to include xorg or X11 packages - but on
the other hand I doubt that there is a non-X front-end.

A perhaps bigger issue is javascript, and I seem to recall that either
elinks or links2 can be compiled with javascript support. Since INX
mostly uses existing Ubuntu 8.04 .deb packages, I haven't really looked
into this. Perhaps someone can try compiling from source with such
support, and report whether it is a possibility.

A quick google returns this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/elinks/+bug/64031

Apparently the "Jaunty" version will have javascript support, so
perhaps encouraging a backport to Hardy is the way to go for this?

Martin Mai's comment on closing the bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/elinks/+bug/64031/comments/10

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net