[Inx] Update INX - Please test!

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jun 20 21:41:56 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Well, after some *ahem* ... trials and tribulations, I have produced a
script that updates INX in place, during a session. Details follow ...

What you need:

You need one or more of: - inx-1.1.iso (CD, some people have used
unetbootin to make a USB INX), inx-1.1 virtual machine install, or
inx-1.1 hard disc install. I have tested using all of these, and though
there may be bugs, the script seems to do more or less
 The Right Thing...

What to do:

Start up inx-1.1, and get a command prompt, in your home directory.
Run this:

wget http://inx.maincontent.net/updates/update-inx

then do

chmod +x update-inx

then

./update-inx  (for those not used to doing this stuff - notice the ./
dot-slash)

(Don't run it as root or with sudo - you'll be told not to by the
script anyway ;) )

Choose "1" from the update menu that should pop up.
Follow instructions ;)

This should update you to the most recent versions of everything. A lot
of it will be invisible, but have a look at the new "fun" menu ;)

Other things that have improved include elinks being in "colour" when
run in GNU screen. For example try running the "shoutcast" command from
a screen session. Playinx also is better behaved when run from screen.

If you want to test it out properly, try reverting your changes with
the "Restore" option. (3). You'll see the fun menu go back to the
older version, for example. Option (2) just does an apt-get upgrade,
with warnings if on a live session.

Do please try it and reply to the list - we need feedback!

Of course, if it works well for list members there will be additions
like a normal menu entry for updates, and most likely some new altered
menus. This script should give you the equivalent of inx-unstable-1.13,
which has not yet been uploaded as such. Of course, if you use it in a
live session the changes will disappear on halt or reboot, naturally.

It's quite easy and safe, honestly! <patent grin emoticon goes here>

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net