[Inx] Fw: [Inx-devel] Bootable INX USB stick script

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 26 00:50:23 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Forwarding the message below, previously sent to inx-devel@ , since I
hope some of you on inx@ will give it a try, and report back to the
list...

Obviously, to follow the instructions and have it 'work', plug in a usb
stick on your live INX session before running the script (I didn't
mention that in my post). The smallest practical size for the 'stick'
would be 512 MB, since the script makes two partitions (the second one
is 'casper-rw' , which makes 'persistence' possible).

Back up any data on your stick before trying this - it takes over the
whole usb stick, and creates new file systems on it.

If you are not familiar with the idea of 'persistence' - booting with
that option means your changes in a session will be retained. Thus for
example any files saved will be there on your next boot, or for example
you can run the update-inx script and the updates will 'stick'.

On shutdown from a usb session, I find it is best to simply hit <enter>
rather than unplugging the device - otherwise you get some scary
input-output errors ;)

Note that installing new system files like kernels etc. on this live USB
is pointless though, since live boot uses the 'casper' kernel and
initrd, which are separate from the rest of the system.

Original post follows....

Begin forwarded message: