[Inx] ISO and install options - opinions?

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Mon Aug 24 11:35:50 PDT 2009

Peter Garrett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a request for opinions, so feel free to throw in any comments!
>
> As list subscribers would know, the "inx-unstable-1.15" iso included an
> option to boot the Ubuntu 'mini.iso' net installer image from the disc.
> Now, there are a few points that I would like opinions about:
>
> 1) Is the extra size worth having? (202 MB vs. about 194-195 MB,
> already more than 10 MB bigger than the original INX CDs .)
it ain't about size - it is about concept

> 2) Is the 2 stage "Netinxtaller" idea asking for trouble, in the sense
> that it requires being comfortable with partitioning, an ncurses-style
> interface, and understanding the concept of installing from the 'Net,
> rebooting, running a second script, and so on? (I suspect that the
> target audience for INX is not *really* "newbish", to be honest,
> despite INX's educational slant).

well as long as you put a "WARNING HERE BE DAEMONS" or something like
that on the front page of it I don't see why not

> 3) Should the Inxtaller and Netinxtaller explanations and/or scripts be
> in the menus as easily accessible options? Or should there just be some
> 'help' text linked from the opening screen for those who want to try
> installing? In the case of the 2 stage install, the netinxtaller script
> is a bit pointless as a number option, since it needs to run *after* a
> base install.
perhaps ...

> 4) Any other thoughts you might have on this subject, or indeed
> suggestions for the Next Big Thing that INX should try to do?
>  *smile*

get cleaned up so that it is easier for others to do stuff?

> ( "4)" is not a licence to ask for your favourite app, or to suggest
> adding X, fluxbox, ratpoison, flash, javascript support etc. - just to
> forestall the inevitable, as seen before on this list ;-)

meh
> It's late/early here, so I'm signing off. I hope to see lots of list
> traffic about this post (Yes, I'm deluded, but you knew this) ;-)

is that the word for it ;-)
I thought it was hacker with a photographic eye