[Inx] What about a French translation?

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 24 09:59:39 PDT 2009

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:23:21 +0200
Vincent <the.addikt1ve at gmail.com> wrote:

> We'd like to contribute to INX, so we're ready to internationalize your
> projet using gettext, without forking since we won't want to become
> developers. Three persons aren't enough to do that: we need backup from
> INX's neighbourhood.

Ah, I perhaps misunderstood your reply - I apologise, if so :-)

I tried to explain briefly how INX was written, and give some pointers
of what you or others could look at and expect - but I understand only
too well that, in its present form, INX would be a big task to
translate. I suppose I reacted a bit strongly to your reply, because I
had taken the time to give some links and some explanation, and your
reply seemed a bit ... well, let's say, curt :)

INX has a very small team, and really only a handful of people have
been active. Several people have helped greatly either by organising
hosting and mailing lists, donating some hardware, finding bugs and
making sensible suggestions, improving code, and even making some
special packages for INX.

Using gettext has been suggested before, and no doubt it is a great
idea - perhaps though, you were not aware that essentially about 99% of
the INX-specific code has been written by one man. I continue to add to,
and, I hope, improve it ... The INX "neighbourhood" is not large, sadly!

> Please, give us a chance ;o)

I am very open to possibilities, but so far I have not had time to look
at gettext - and I, personally, will not have the time to rewrite INX
single-handedly. If others are interested, I would be pleased to help. I
am not a good coder :) I just glue stuff together in perhaps a
different way, but I'm sure any trained programmer would find my scripts
primitive, repetitive and inelegant! They (mostly) run OK,  though
*smile*.

I will have a look at gettext, but as I have tried to point out, I
doubt that I personally will be able to make the needed changes to INX,
at least in the short term. Others will need to have an "itch to
scratch", I suppose :)

This list probably has a few subscribers who might find your
translation suggestion interesting. I find it interesting, but you
would need some other allies, as you say ...

Other subscribers - any comments? Anyone who wants to help Vincent and
his collaborators? I am happy to help if possible, but we could do with
more hands and heads ...

Sincerely,

Peter

--