[Inx] Usb persist install

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 20 04:27:30 PDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:30:24 +0000
David Ring <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:

> I made a USB of Ubuntu Jaunty .  INX doesn't support my WiFi card -
> and that's how I get my connection.

Well. for the foreseeable future INX will be based on Hardy 8.04 -
mainly because I don't have the time to reinvent INX every six months,
and the Ubuntu developments post-hardy have broken several things. I
won't bore you with the details...

> Would you send me the program list for INX?  i know the instructions
> for remastering are "somewhere" in the INX menu system - but only a
> gopher:// can find it.  :-)

*cough*
$inx at inx:~ apropos inx
INX (1) [inx]        - INX Is Not X - A live CD using virtual consoles,
with coloured menus.
Inxtaller (8) [inxtaller] - install INX to a
virtual machine or a single blank hard drive (experimental).
buildinx (1)         - build an INX Live CD image from scratch
inx-development (1)  - (unknown subject) (P.G. comment: Oops ;-) )

man buildinx  ;-)

Or,
http://inx.maincontent.net/buildinx/buildinx.html

(Html version of the above)

> A posting of the link and a link to the instructions would be very very helpful.

Is this what you were looking for?

Good luck building a jaunty-inx. I gave it a shot but, umm, I stopped
fairly quickly, since, as I said, I haven't the time any more to
second-guess the Ubuntu devs when they make new versions of stuff that
cease to run in a non-X frame buffer environment... Example of
unintuitive behaviour (charitable description) - on boot, the only way
I could get jaunty to go on line using dhcp was to hit ctrl-alt-delete
at a strategic moment during the boot sequence. You thought that would
reboot, right?Well, no, in this case it continued to boot and suddenly
seemed to decide maybe running dhcp was an idea after all...

Aunt Tilly need not apply ;-)

Also, mplayer would not run with cdmp.
There are no doubt many adventures in store for you, or anyone who can
make a working jaunty-inx. Let us know if you get it to work!

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net