[Inx] Files Needed to Add Broadcom Devices to Debian/Ubuntu

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 28 15:43:02 PDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:31:37 -0400
David Ring <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:

> Here is what I needed to connect to the Internet is the Broadcom Modules.
>
> Here is a list of files that must be used to install it.
>
> Here is the Broadcom Linux Driver:
> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>
> But I guess I didn't need this because I found some already made up
> .deb files - here is a list complete with dependencies.
>
> You can search for the correct version at
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Mixing Debian .debs with Ubuntu .debs is usually a recipe for
disaster...

> Everything worked just fine for me with the latest Kosmic Koala files
> in 64 bit version!

Well, you were lucky ;)

[snips of listed .debs]

apt-cache show b43-fwcutter
apt-cache show module-assistant

Also, for Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives like INX:

http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/
http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/dists/hardy-cafuego/broadcom/

Jaunty packages:
http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/dists/jaunty-cafuego/broadcom/

Cafuego is a good guy and trustable :) I 'know' him from IRC...

Possibly that doesn't cover it, but at least with my Broadcom 4306
wifi card on a ppc iBook, both the Ubuntu install and Debian install
worked fine with b43-fwcutter (it's a dual boot of Ubuntu and Debian)
or using Cafuego's firmware debs for Ubuntu.

You will realise that including this proprietary firmware stuff in the
actual iso is, umm, not on, unless someone cares to finance a lawyer
to represent INX :)

The wireless connection tool in INX is 'ceni', kindly packaged for us
by David Symons and accessible from the Net & Web menu...

Peter