[Inx] [Inx-devel] Thread 4: What's actually happening... gradually.

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Sep 17 16:52:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 07:59 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> Hi Andre, all,
>
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:32:21 +1000
> Andre Mangan <andrem at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > 1.  Date on releases - I would favour a version number.
>
> I think so too...

> > 2.  Install INX - An installer is a must.  For myself, I like to access
> > INX via VirtualBox from my Ubuntu desktop - it saves the drudgery of
> > rebooting; others may want it as a complete installable operating
> > system.

Personally, i disagree about an installer being required.

> *sigh* I fully agree, but as cjwatson of Ubiquity fame said to me some
> time ago, "Installers are not trivial." I'm really hitting the ceiling
> of my current knowledge and abilities on this one. Anyone out there
> care to have a look at the Inxtaller and see if they can come up with
> something more sophisticated?

Is it worth investigating an alternative? There are some, perhaps one
can be customised to our needs, rather then (stressfully) recreating the
wheel.

> > 3.  Updating INX - the current situation means a complete new download
> > whenever sufficient changes are made to warrant it.  Since "the core
> > programmes" are "static", I would welcome a facility for only
> > downloading changes to my INX installation.  INX is bound to grow.
>
> Well, this is possible for an installed INX, or a virtual install -
> doing incremental updates on an ISO is probably not practical, as you
> would have seen from the way most distros do this.

Enable automatic updates by default, and "inx genuine advantage",
and ... oh wait a minute ... perhaps not.

> You can save a lot of downloading by using "buildinx" and updating the
> tarball from the site ( /buildinx directory) - but this is not a
> solution for the masses :) Also, some of the updates are not included
> in that tarball now (Ceni is an example - it is a .deb from the Sidux
> project).

You could probably wget down the tarball while running couldnt you?

> > 5.  Release now or later? - Later never comes, so release now.  This
> > will ensure a wider dispersion and therefore increase feedback.
>
> True. On the other hand, since I do about 95% of the work, I worry that
> I will forget something basic and create a release that is broken. This
> of course is my problem, not anyone else's :)

feedback is only helpful as long as you can respond to it :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>