[Inx] Thread Two: RC-3 or not?

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Sep 10 07:22:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:11 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:54:24PM +1000, Samson Wong wrote:
> <snip>
> > As for inx-unstable, INX is always going to be a of a hobbyist, "just for
> > fun" distro - no one really uses it for day to day normal computing (I
> > think!!!).
>
> Hmm... let's see... things I do on CLI:
>
> Email		[X]
> News		[X] (talking about usenet stuff etc.)
> Web browsing	[X] (well, lots of it but not all)
> IRC		[X]
> IM		[X] (centericq rocks!)
> Code		[X]
> Games		[X] (bsdgames anyone?)
> Pr0n		[ ] (not _that_ into ASCII graphics... but HEY! How did that get
> in here?!)

Yeah, how could you consider ascii when you have a perfectly functional
framebuffer?

> But seriously, as you can see, quite a lot can be done effectively on it. I'd
> say I'm not alone there.
>
> > I personally think the audience for INX won't rate stability as
> > a primary priority, and will probably choose to get unstable anyways.
> > [That's what I'll do ;-)].
>
> People belonging to the above category, will look for stability for sure. I hate
> it if my last 15 minutes of geniusness vanishes away while vim skips a heartbeat
> and for some reason there isn't that .main.c.swap file at all! :D

Perhaps an installed inx this argument works - not sure i'll buy it
running on a live cd :)

> > Stables IMO, would signify the points for achievement of "major milestones"
> > in the process...
>
> True, but also give a reasonably troublefree way for people to download a distro
> they can trust at any time. There's pretty much nothing that I hate more than
> having a very promising, but always just that, tool, of any kind.

I agree.

> > Quick intro - I'm Samson Wong aka Sertse aka fanboi #inx lurker. No
> > particular skills, just really like this distro since it's so unique. And
> > you guys are nice.

Just let me wring that comment out for a moment :P

> I would think they welcome us all, no matter what size we fit. They, since so
> far, there's not a single line of my contribution in INX. Hopefully not for too
> long. :)

I think my main contribution currently is a few silly comments, so its
not hard to be 'in'. *g*
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)