[Inx] Qingy: GUI login

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 17:13:13 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Peter Garrett <inx-one at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> <benevolent-dictator-mode>
>
> So, true to form, I'm about to say why we aren't likely to go
> all directfb and framebuffer-ish in INX... at least not right now. :)
>
> </benevolent-dictator-mode>

> So to end this rather long post - I am not against directfb, and I am
> not against X for that matter - I use it daily. We just need to have a
> clear idea of what INX should be. I'm open to having a different
> version further down the road that includes more bells and whistles,
> but there should at least always be an INX that emphasises the
> console, command line, and the power of Bash.

Thank you for your long replay, I read it a few times not becase it
dificult to understand, but just because I like your reply.

I understand the aim of INX and I have tried the live CD, booted using
QEMU (to save CD due to inflation.....  ).
It is very interesting and I see some new things there.

Below is some background of my linux experience, you can skip this:
I am new to linux and previously I was just a normal windows user, and
my background is mechanical engineering. I just start using linux 2
years ago, when I found ubuntu. Since my IT staff was not good (I
found out he was using many MS software illegally) I decided to do a
clean up my self. Since then, I have setup:
- more than 10 ubuntu dapper desktop complete with MS Office ( we have
license) and Lotus Notes on Wine
- 1 firewall using IPCOP complete with internet filtering using squid
- 1 ubuntu server for file sharing, dhcp, VPN gateway,
- 1 ubuntu server to do file backup using backuppc.

The LAN are managed by windows 2000 server (just because we already
bought the license long time ago), and 1 windows 2003 server to serve
Lotus domino (both also licensed). But I managed to clean up all
illegal software and replace it with linux.

At home, I am using core 2 duo quad. So, literally I could run any
bloated distribution without any problem. But In my company there are
some old computers like P3 and some with unsupported graphic card like
SIS900, and ubuntu is no go as we are also using wine to run MS office
and Lotus Notes.

So, I started to try Linux From Scratch, to test how it perform on old
computers, and also to improve my "command line" and more
understanding of linux. But after spending two days just to create
toolchains and compile kernel, I think it is too much time spent. So,
I try archlinux, which is much faster and easier to install full
desktop, with speed performance about double than ubuntu. I have tried
ubuntu minimal install (install only command line, and install
xorg-core and gnome-core on top of it) still there is no speed
improvement.

In short, to learn command line using INX is not the way to go for me,
unless I found INX two years ago. But I still find INX interesting
although not useful for me. If we could just expand a little bit INX
mission, I guess it would be better. My idea is:

1. As study tools, just run as livecd.
2. To install on computer, it should be a more complete desktop to
takeover the whole computer, not just for study.

I could not imagine people wasting 1computer just for studying command
line only. That would mean he need to dual boot, or add X on top of
INX which become not INX anymore.  (I could be wrong though).

Along the way, I found framebuffer, Qingy, links2 -g, lobo (web
browser based on Java) and some other non X windows manager. It
strikes my mind if we could just remove X altogether (which need more
than 100 packages) and yet we still could point and click, in addition
to the power of command line.

Although I could do some compiling and a little bit of scripting now,
my knowledge is still very very limited. So, I thought I would share
my idea here. I did share my idea to LFS folks, but looks like they
are very very busy compiling and writing books and books, as expected,
which is good for people that would want to learn compiling packages.

The arch base system is also a little bit difficult to manage as we
would not have a "stable screenshoot" as they upgrade every package
every now and then. So, ubuntu (or debian) based I guess is the right
choice, except for the speed (still trying to figure out to improve
the speed).

Regards,
David