[Inx] hardy-inx

Peter Garrett inx-one at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 24 03:13:12 PDT 2008

Dab Mazzei wrote:

> Andre Mangan wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > Today, for the first time I tried Brasero for burning the hardy edition
> > of INX.  Two coasters later I used the old CD/DVD Creator and was
> > successful.
> >
> Speaking of disk burning applications, is there a menu link to
> wodim/cdrecord in the current menu system?  Should there be?

I don't think wodim is currently included. INX is a live CD after all,
so although people with more than one CD device could theoretically use
a disc burning tool, I doubt that it's a high priority. That said, if
we managed for example a USB thumbdrive edition, or a "boot to ram"
option. it could become useful.

[snip]
> > Often when one buys a computer book it comes with a CD.  Is there a plan
> > for a book to come with an INX CD?
> >

> I don't know if this is in the plans, but neither am I certain that it
> should be.  Because the target demographic is so narrow, it might not
> be a good idea to include it, since so few people will be interested in
> using it.

If Andre means a dead-tree sort of book, you are probably right.
There's no doubt that some extra documentation is needed - perhaps on
the web site, or as an easily accessible HTML document on the disc, or
indeed both. INX already has Machtelt Garrels' "Introduction to Linux",
which is in the tutorials as well, as the last thing in the
"Declaration of Independence"...

links2 -g file:///usr/share/example-content/intro-linux/index.html

> It is targeted at people who want to learn the Linux command
> shell, and those who want a good implementation of it, not the average
> consumer.

Are any computer books targeted at the average consumer? ;-)
I take your point, though.

[snip]
> > Would an option for reboot be possible?
> >
> Yes, the option for reboot is 'sudo shutdown -r now' but perhaps this
> is a good idea to add to the current menus.

I'll look at this - the reboot would be to the hard drive - but perhaps
that's what Andre meant?

--
Peter Garrett <inx-one at optusnet.com.au>